Veterinary Dermatology Specialty Service
Veterinary dermatology is a specialty that diagnoses and treats disorders of the skin, hair, ears, and claws. Multiple diseases can result in dermatological lesions: parasitic infestations, allergies, hormonal imbalances and auto-immune diseases.
Different diagnostic procedures are offered:
- Intradermal allergy testing
- Skin biopsies under local or general anesthesia
- Skin and ear cytology
- Skin scrapings
- Bacterial and fungal cultures
- Video-otoscopic ear examination
- Deep ear irrigation under general anesthesia (this procedure may be coupled with a CT scan of the middle and inner ear)
When should I take my pet to see a veterinary dermatologist? If you notice one or many of the following symptoms on your dog or cat, a veterinary dermatologist can help you:
- Your animal is itchy; they scratch, bite, chew, or lick themselves excessively.
- You notice excessive hair loss.
- You can see abnormalities on the skin: crusts, scabs, dandruff, or changes in colour or texture.
- Your animal is scratching their ears, or you note abnormal smells or secretions.
Although skin diseases rarely endanger an animal’s life, they have a profound effect on overall quality of life. Our veterinary dermatology team can provide relief.Contact Us